What is Melasma?
One of the most common forms of discoloration that we treat at La Jolla Dermatology & Laser Surgery Center is Melasma.
Melasma is a common pigmentation disorder that causes brown patches to appear on the skin, primarily on the face. The most common areas for melasma to appear are on the cheeks, forehead, upper lip and nose. Melasma can be due to sun exposure, hormonal changes during pregnancy or from birth control.
Melasma is a chronic skin condition that needs to be managed 12 months out of the year. Chronic conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes and melasma take constant management and are never “cured,” which is why we developed an ongoing membership to help you manage your skin condition.
What is the treatment for Melasma?
Dr. Shirazi sees her Melasma patients every 2-3 months to adjust their skincare regimens depending on the status of their discoloration and the seasons/time of year. CONSISTENCY is one of the most important factors in resolving discoloration, and adherence to a skincare regimen and sun protection is of upmost importance.
Dr. Shirazi’s melasma patients are on a combination of both “over-the-counter” AziMD Skincare that can be purchased online AND prescription AziMD products, which can only be issued to patients of Dr. Shirazi who have been treated via virtual appointment.
For the best results in completely treating your discoloration or for more complex conditions such as melasma, a medical evaluation and other prescriptions may be necessary in order to achieve desired results.
As a SkinBRIGHT® subscription member, you’ll enjoy a long list of benefits including:
- Melasma management made simple
- Virtual photo appointments with renowned, Board-Certified Dermatologist, Dr. Azadeh Shirazi
- Shirazi’s expert customization on your skincare routine based on your progress and seasonality
- Discounted customized skincare kits, delivered to you on demand
- Below retail pricing on AziMD Skincare & Subscriptions
- Automatic convenient delivery of customized skincare products AND prescriptions right to your door, so you can keep your skincare routine consistent without worrying
- Special promotions and insider access to our latest product launches
- Complimentary AziMD leather cosmetic case to store your products
- No joining fee, no monthly membership fee & a pay-as-you-go on demand system!